Friday, May 1, 2009

Still Life with Garlic and Antique Cup

This is the first oil painting I've done since my husband had retired and since we've been back from Asheville, NC. I usually try and determine if my composing has anything to do with what is going on with my personal life. Here I see there are two groups of two. It's the first time I've set objects up with a definite path or space separating items. Could this be my husband and myself before and after (his retirement)?? Also, the two items in the background are opposites; one black one white while the two objects in the foreground are twins. To give you a little background about my husband's retirement: he wants to pursue his passion of photography. So now we are both "doing our thing"!!! Hope I haven't overanalyzed this!
Just a reminder about my workshop in Naples, Florida in a couple of weeks. It's 4 days and starts on May 11th. Please check my website or send me an email for more info.

7 comments:

Sharlette White said...

Oh my gosh I can't believe I found your site. I have your book and I love it.

GW-Images said...

Joyce, I love your analysis. I wish I could get people to look at photographs that way. Not hearing much out of Paul since the retirement and am hoping that is a good thing. I still love your work and appreciate you posting it for all of us admirers to enjoy.

Joyce Washor said...

Gary and Sharlette,
Thanks for taking the time to write!
Gary- Paul is doing fine with retirement (I think)!!

Joyce Washor said...

Gary and Sharlette,
Thanks for taking the time to write!
Gary- Paul is doing fine with retirement (I think)!!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

It's a bold composition and the painting is just beautiful!
Looking forward to your post about the workshop.

Jeffrey W. Phillips said...

I love this painting, Joyce. The colors are so soothing. Great sense of space!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love this. So rich and BIG looking!