Tuesday, December 18, 2007

More for Cup Series/Neutrals


I was thinking "neutrals" when I repainted the red roses in the eleventh painting in this cup series. AH! Now I remember (there is a delay in posting since I don't want to put a wet painting on the scanner) that I had left over paint from a painting I did the day before and thought it would look good on this painting. (I'll post that one tomorrow cause it has its own story.) All the flowers in this painting were red and to my eye not quite making it. I don't make it a habit of overpainting cause I don't like the smell of varnish and I find I have to varnish the painting in order to have the colors look like they do when they're wet. I was also using the same red/green palette that I had used for this painting so seemed like all systems were "go". I also have been relying on direct observation and not memory so this was one of the few times that I went against my usual way of doing things. Painting out of the box so to speak. I like that the only bit of non-neutral color is in the cup and hope that this helps speak to the title of the painting. It's hard for the center of interest to be in the background; maybe there's a tension between the cup and the flowers that I like. POR

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I like it. Nice balance and the little pop of red against the neutral flowers is the focal point.