Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Homage to Morandi



I recently saw the Morandi exhibit at the Met. Very exciting. Lots of paintings that I had never seen in person or reproduced. If you can't make it to the museum I think they might have stuff on their website. Also, American Artist Magazine has a superb article on the exhibit.
They said he did as many landscapes as still lifes but only showed a few landscapes.
The thing (besides of course the serenity and meditative quality of his work) that got me was the fact that he just did what he wanted to do while everyone else was painting abstractions or whatever the "movement" was at the time. He also used the stuff of his studio.
I was going to set up only bottles to be closer to his work but then realized it was more the spirit I was after and if I like using different objects I should go for it my way.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I always enjoy your paintings (and your book). I love the floral detail on the cup in this painting.